Health and Safety
Schools will schedule time for frequent hand washing throughout the day. Arrival at school, before and after meals or snack time, and other times throughout the school day. Washing at regular intervals is helpful in illness prevention and will become a regular part of the school day. The Center for Disease Control outlines handwashing as a critical way members of the public to protect themselves and others in this challenging time.
Guidelines and related timeline for North Monterey County Unified school campuses and facilities:
- Our District school campuses/facilities current outdoor masking requirement will end on Saturday, March 12.
- Face masking is still required indoors at our school campuses and facilities until Saturday, March 26 at which time it will be strongly recommended instead of required.
- There will be no distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated in the masking policy.
- Local health departments may issue stricter guidelines. We anticipate there will be no other changes from the Monterey County Health Department.
- Updated guidance from CalOSHA related to staff may require personal protective equipment (PPE) for certain job related situations
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE):
NMCUSD will provide any protective equipment required as appropriate for work assignments. For employees engaging in symptom screening, surgical masks, face shields, disinfectant and disposable gloves will be provided.
For front office and food service employees, plexiglass will be installed as necessary. Cal/OSHA requires that PPE be provided to effectively protect employees from the hazards of the cleaning products used and training be provided to staff on the hazards of chemicals. For custodial staff and any other staff who may engage in cleaning or disinfecting, will be provided with specific supplies and PPE with particular directions/training. All products must be kept out of children’s reach and stored in a space with restricted access.