Welcome to The Kennedy Center, Sunset Cultural Arts Center , and North Monterey County Unified School District Partners in Education Program.
- Fall 2015: Sunset Center and North Monterey applied for the 2016 Partners In Education Program
- April 2016: Sunset Center and North Monterey attended Spring 2016 Partners In Education Orientation Program
- June 2016: Sunset Center Executive Board and North Monterey Board of Education informed of the Kennedy Center Awarding the 2016 CA Partners In Education Program
- Fall 2016: Form Advisory Committee
- February 2017: Professional Development workshops with artist Lenore Blank Kelner was cancelled due to inclement weather
- April 2017: Professional Development workshops with artist Melanie Rick on Visual Literacy
- June 2017: Randy Barron Student Engagement Workshops
- July 2017: Randy Barron Student Engagement Workshops
- August 2017: Melanie Rick Visual Literacy Workshops
- October 2017: Melanie Rick Visual Literacy Workshops and Randy Barron Student Engagement Workshops
- January 2018: Randy Barron Student Engagement Workshops
- February 2018: Melanie Rick Visual Literacy Workshops
- March 2018: Randy Barron Student Engagement Workshops
- April 2018: Melanie Rick Visual Literacy Workshops
- August 2017 through April 2018: Arts Integration: An Approach To Teaching Course offered at Sunset Center taught by Kennedy Center Artist, Melanie Rick
- August 2017 through March 2018: Student Engagement Through Arts Integration at Sunset Center taught by Kennedy Center Artist, Randy Barron
- May 2018: Celebrating Educators: Arts Integration Reflection
What is the Partnership?
The Partners in Education program of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is designed to assist arts organizations throughout the nation to develop or expand educational partnerships with their local school systems. The primary purpose of these partnerships is to provide professional learning in the arts for teachers. The Partners in Education program is based on the belief that teachers’ professional learning is an essential component of any effort designed to increase the artistic literacy of young people.
Currently, almost 100 Partnership Teams in 42 States and the District of Columbia participate in the program. Each Partnership Team consists of at least two members: a representative of an arts organization and a representative of the senior administration of a neighboring school district.
North Monterey County Unified School District applied for and joined the program as part of the 2016 cohort. It's partner is the Sunset Center in Carmel-by-the-Sea.
The purpose of this partnership, inclusive of the Kennedy Center Partners in Education, Sunset Cultural Center, and the North Monterey County Unified School District, is to expand and deepen professional arts integrated learning for teachers with an open invitation to endless opportunities. Students' literacy skills (i.e. speaking, listening, reading, and writing) through the arts will in crease and students will be equipped with tools and strategies needed to be successful as citizens and learners. This partnership will model a successful collaborative relationship between two public service entities committed to connecting student success across Monterey County.
What is Art's Integration?
Arts integration is an approach to teaching in which students construct and demonstrate understanding through an art form. Students engage in a creative process which connects an art form and another subject area and meets evolving objectives in both.
Upcoming Professional Development
Advisory Committee Members
North Monterey County High School
- Shara Greco
- Colin Gilbert
- Joyce Conrad
North Monterey County Middle School
- Brandon Bowen
- Brooke Velasquez
Castroville Elementary School
- Anah Aldecoa
Echo Valley Elementary School
- Kevin Reardon
Elkhorn Elementary School
- Christopher Zumaran
- Suzan Kelly
- Kelly Yowell
Prunedale Elementary School
- Mikaela Goldman
Sunset Cultural Arts Center
- Margo Mullen
North Monterey County Unified School District
- Angie Russo, Arts & Technology Specialist