• A Work Permit is a legal document that allows a minor permission to work.
    All minors under the age of 18 must have a work permit.

    • Including minors that are employed by parents and/or family; and
    • Except for minors who have high school diplomas or passed the state equivalency exam (GED or HiSET).

    Work Permits are required all year. Including all school recesses and holidays.
    Work Permits provide protection of the minor through:

    • Worker’s Compensation,
    • Ensuring minimum wage,
    • Determining hazardous jobs, and
    • Enforcing student work hours.


  • 1) Fill out “Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit – Certificate of Age” form. Complete ALL required information:

    a.) Minor’s Information – Required

    b.) Parent / Guardian Signature & Date – Required

    c.) Employer Information and Signature – ALL Required

    2) Return COMPLETED form to the Work Experience Specialist, Ms. Araceli Cuentas at the Library Media Center

    3) Bring your Social Security Card. If you are not an NMCUSD student, please bring PROOF OF AGE – Birth Certificate, Driver’s License or CA ID.

    4) Hand-Carry Work Permit to Employer, before starting work.

    5) Renew before January 11, 2019.

    6) High School graduates under the age of the 18 do not need a work permit.
    Need help filling out this form? Follow these steps here.

Intent to Employ a Minor

If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.

    IMPORTANT! All students younger than 18 years of age are required to have a work permit, including the winter, spring, and summer breaks. 

    Work Permits that were issued on or after August 15, 2018, will expire on 01/11/2019 and must be renewed the first week that students come back to school from winter break to continue employment.
    You will need to come to the College & Career Center to request a new one. 



    By law, young workers also have rights. Essentially, young workers have the right to a safe and healthful workplace. For more information about your rights as a young worker, click here.


    Ms. Araceli Cuentas
    Work Experience Specialist
    (831)633-5221 x3279 


    Winter Break Hours:
    7:00 am - 3:30 pm