What is transitional kindergarten (TK)?
A transitional kindergarten is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate. Pursuant to law, (EC 48000[c]), a child is eligible for transitional kindergarten if a child will have his or her fifth birthday:
For the 2013–14 school year, on or after Oct. 2 but before Dec 2, 2008
For the 2014–15 school year, on or after Sept. 1 but before Dec 2, 2009
For the 2015–16 school year and thereafter, on or after Sept. 1
STEPS TO FOLLOW:
1. Contact your child’s home school to register for Kindergarten or Transitional* Kindergarten. We have four elementary schools that will serve incoming Kindergarten students.
- Castroville Elementary School: 11161 Merritt Street, Castroville- (831) 633-2570
- Echo Valley Elementary School: 147 Echo Valley Road, Salinas--(831) 663-2308
- Elkhorn Elementary School: 2235 Elkhorn Road, Castroville-(831) 633-2405
- Prunedale Elementary School: 17719 Pesante Road, Salinas-(831) 663-3060
If you are not sure which is your neighborhood school, please call 633-3343, ext. 229.
- Your child’s birth certificate
- Copy of your child’s immunization records
Note: If your child needs immunizations, there will be information on our school-based clinics provided by “Salud Para La Gente” available
at Elkhorn and Castroville Elementary school sites.
3. Make an Assessment Screening Appointment for late July through early August
4. Complete additional in-take paperwork required for enrollment at your scheduled appointment