The Board of Education consists of five at-large members whose four-year terms are staggered so one half of the members are elected in each odd-numbered year, commencing on the first Friday in December next succeeding their election. The Superintendent serves as Secretary to the Board and at least one student representative (non-voting) is selected by the District’s high school students to represent student interests in accordance with procedures approved by the Board. The term of a student Board member is one year and he/she attends all Board meetings except closed sessions.
The role of the Board is to provide leadership and citizen oversight of the District and ensure that the District is responsive to the values, beliefs, and priorities of the community. Major responsibilities include:
- Setting the direction for the District
- Establishing an effective and efficient organizational structure for the District
- Providing support to the Superintendent and staff as they carry out the Board’s direction
- Ensuring accountability to the public for the performance of the District’s schools
- Providing community leadership and advocacy on behalf of students, the District’s education program, and public education
The Board also approves the District’s budget and adopts all policies and curriculum. At the annual organizational meeting in December, the Board elects its president, clerk, vice president, and a parliamentarian from its members.